I try to keep a thorough character sketch on each character I write. Sometimes it’s a little bit difficult and I get halfway through a novel and realize there’s something in a character’s past I hadn’t accounted for. There are ten questions I ask myself (and write down) about each character. These questions are not the only things you would find if you started reading through my scribbled folder of character sketches. These are things that go beyond name, hair color, and height. For the sake of helping writers write, I’ll share my questions with you and if you can think of any questions you’d like to add, just write it in the comments!
- How does this character make money?
- Where have they lived in their lifetime?
- What was this character’s family life like? Parents? Siblings?
- What kind of education does this character have? Which schools did they go to? What did they study and why?
- What are his/her goals? What drives him/her?
- What are his/her obstacles? What’s standing in the way of his/her happiness?
- Is he/she a party animal, homebody, or somewhere between the two?
- What are the character’s strengths and weaknesses?
- What are this character’s habits and mannerisms like?
- What is the character’s greatest fear?
One thought on “10 Things To Know About Your Characters”
11.What is in the man’s pockets.
12.what is in the female handbag